Sunday, December 3, 2023

I thought It Came With a Dishwasher...

 I'm posting in the wrong order. This was months after settling into the new (old) house. I seemed to remember it having a dishwasher during the walk-through, but was actually storage. 

This seems to be a decent veneer update to an old kitchen. The cabinet space shown here is perfectly sized for a modern dishwasher, and located adjacent to the kitchen sink. Seemed like the perfect place. 

As per usual, I modeled the situation to find the best solution. The counter top is synthetic granite, and needs adequate support if I'm going to be climbing on top to reach high spaces. 
Here is a thick plywood side supporting three 2x4s laid flat. This is the only way to make enough room for a dishwasher without making a system of metal brackets.
Temporary supports holding the counter while I gutted the shelving. You can see the old laminate peaking through. I didn't want to tear that up and go any lower, for reasons a 1930-1970s homeowner would appreciate. Lucky me, the plumbing lines are PEX and easily accessible.
Transferred the old veneer to my framing for a seamless look. This Bosch dishwasher features auto drying, which means it opens after the cycle is finished to release the steam. I added a vapor barrier strip under the frame where the steam might contact the wood framing to avoid mold issues. A new circuit was added by an electrician for the plug per code. The inspector had me install a water hammer arrestor to protect the plumbing, which I also thought prudent to install on the clothes washer while I was at it.






No comments:

Post a Comment