Sunday, December 3, 2023

Gable Vent Upgrade

 Nothing crazy. I decided summer is too hot these days, and the insulation I added last year isn't enough to stave off the heat that builds up in the attic. It gets over 110°F under the roof at certain times. There's two gable end vents, and vents around the soffit/eaves. Both existing can cause air flow turbulence, making it inefficient, so say the inspector. However, both are very poorly executed, so my path of choice is to force air out so it's pulling in everywhere else, cooling the attic rapidly. 

Photo of the existing gable vent. In the attic, there's two 2x4 supports right in front of the vent, blocking airflow. I want something modern so the house doesn't look cheap, like a hexagon. It's not big enough for an octagon, I know this much.

Look at that! Pshh, amateur hour.
 
 I did some 3D sketching to look at measurements, and decide how to approach the challenge.
 "I think this looks nice." -me
Cedar boards make the shape. The flat pieces have dowels and wood glue holding them to shape. The rest uses an abundance of Brad nails.
Sealing gaps to handle water runoff. The fin angles were tricky because they're tapered in two dimensions. The gaps were filled with caulk so there was a little slack on my craftsmanship.
Several layers of house paint. I wanted for the layers to dry and shrink before applying another layer to reduce the appearance of cracking paint.
Fan installed. I didn't want the solar panel version to increase the reliability, reduce the fire hazard of batteries, and improve the look. It's only 18-watts, too. The controller is temperature dependent and automatically turns off when the temp drops below the setting. The circuit is powered by a GFCI switch in the utility closet, for seasonal use. Between the vent and fan there's 1/4-inch hardware mesh to keep pests out.
Final product.












No comments:

Post a Comment